What are “home rule” states? And what’s so difficult about them for sales tax? Learn how to handle these often-overlooked taxes with Stacey Roberts, Jaye Calhoun, Will Thistle and moderator Diane Yetter as they teach crucial home rule sales tax quirks in Alabama, Colorado, and Louisiana.
Home Rule Headaches No More:
Alabama, Colorado & Louisiana Local Tax Deep-Dive
November 30, 2021
1:00 pm-2:30 pm EST, 10:00 am-11:50 am PST
Local jurisdictions in home rule states can operate on their own terms like mini state departments of revenue. This has long made managing local tax requirements a difficult endeavor for tax professionals. You must play by each home rule jurisdiction’s rules and accurately track sales and purchase data with the level of detail needed to properly administer local sales and use taxes.
Confusion around requirements in home rule states have been amplified following the South Dakota v. Wayfair decision as each home rule state has taken its own approach to managing requirements for remote sellers.
This webinar will take an in-depth look at key sales tax issues in three tricky home rule states, Alabama, Colorado, and Louisiana. You’ll learn how home rule jurisdictions in these states define local tax nexus, handle registration, conduct audits, source sales, manage remote sellers, and more.
It’s time for your company to prioritize local taxes in home rule states. When you’re armed with the information you need, you just might find maintaining sales tax compliance at the local level to be a fun and unique challenge!
- Discover how home rule authorities function in Alabama, Colorado, and Louisiana so you are not caught off guard by unique sales tax rules in these states.
- Examine nexus issues that arise with local taxes and home rule authorities, including how economic nexus applies, to determine if you need to be collecting local sales or use tax.
- Learn how home rule states have handled requirements for remote sellers, including the introduction of new remote seller registration authorities and compliance simplification efforts.
- Understand sourcing rules in home rule jurisdictions so you know which type of tax to collect.
- Find out how home rule jurisdictions conduct audits, so you navigate the process with confidence and provide solutions to your executives.
- Dig into compliance issues so that you apply the correct tax rate to your sales and maintain accurate records.
- Learn how to incorporate local sales and use tax in your overall tax administration with ease.
Moderated by Diane Yetter, Sales Tax Institute
Stacey L. Roberts, CPA, State and Local Tax Director, TaxOps
Jaye Calhoun, Attorney, Kean Miller LLP
Will Thistle, Attorney, Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP