Catch the last Denver date of the year!
1:00 – 4:30 pm MT
CPE 4 credits
Veteran instructor Mark Dunning goes beyond the basics to really dig into the details on research and development (R&D) credits in this 4 credit class. The course will review the basic and introduce the intermediary levels of claiming the R&D credit, including how qualified research is defined, the various details of the credit calculations, and properly supporting or documenting such claim. This course will also highlight IRS examination trends and concerns as well as financial statement aspects of claiming the ?credit. Attend live or online.
After completing this course the participant will be able to:
- Explain the background of the research and development credit and recent legislation
- Define qualified research under statutory and case law
- Distinguish and recognize the issues pertaining to internal-use software
- Calculate regular and alternative simplified credit, including base period, start-up company rules, acquisition and disposition application, and controlled groups
- Explain the need for contemporaneous documentation
- Recognize the role of the IRS in issue management network/Tier I, examination trends, and pre-filing agreements
- Describe financial statement benefit issues
Mark Dunning, CPA, is the managing partner of TaxOps Minimization, an affiliate of TaxOps, LLC, which specializes in the R&D credit and other tax minimization project areas, including domestic production activities deduction, tangible property regulations, uniform capitalization rules, and meals and entertainment studies. He served as a tax practitioner for more than two decades, including 15 years with a Big 4 firm where he was a regional and national leader in the research and development credit area. He managed four IRS pre-filing agreement projects that the IRS had granted and closed in the research credit area nationwide.
Let’s Talk Tax
More Tax News
- The Power of Data: Vertex’s Approach to Keeping Pace with Tax Changes with Mike Bernard
- Navigating Return to Provision Adjustment in ASC 740
- Colorado annual notice of earned income tax
- Top Ten State and Local Tax Issues to Watch in 2024
- Judy Vorndran Moderates International Businesses and the State Tax Twist CPE