Meredith Smith – Senior Tax Manager, State and Local Tax
Meredith combines technical knowledge with an in-depth industry understanding of state and local tax (SALT) issues to expertly manage the complicated web of tax laws governing SALT issues. She performs nexus studies, identifies risk areas, supports acquisition efforts on both the buy/sell sides, and designs sustainable planning opportunities to achieve tax-specific business goals.
Meredith acts as a bridge and advocate between federal and state and local tax issues and discussions, helping businesses understand how various business elements impact tax positions and long-term strategy. She values providing practical business solutions to clients and enjoys diving into the weeds to really get to know businesses.
To Meredith, creating a personal connection with people is the key to long-term working relationships. Many of her clients have been with her since she began with TaxOps more than 10 years ago. As an outsourced tax partner, Meredith acts as a source of consistency over the changing landscapes that businesses experience within their own company.
Prior to TaxOps, she was a member of the SALT practice at KPMG. In this role, Meredith focused on state income and franchise tax compliance and consulting, as well as state ASC 740 and ASC 740-10 documentation for large, multi-jurisdictional corporations and multi-tier partnerships. Her clients spanned a variety of industries including broadcasting and telecommunications, entertainment, oil and gas, private equity, real estate, restaurants, and various service industries.
Making Sense of State and Local Tax
Catch Meredith as she moderates the SALTovation show, a podcast series featuring the leading voices in state and local tax discussing issues, strategies and planning tools in SALT.
- Strategic, business-friendly nexus analysis/studies
- Apportionment analysis
- State tax audit and controversy assistance
- Sales and use taxability analysis
- Amnesty and voluntary disclosure agreements
- Sales tax automation
- Transaction planning and due diligence
- Tax & business law
- State income tax, property tax, sales and use tax
- Business incentives and credits
- ASC 740
- Due diligence
- Miami University, Bachelor of Science in Accounting
- University of Denver, Master of Taxation
ADMISSIONS & MEMBERSHIP
- CPA (Colorado License #0029658)
- Member, Institute for Professionals in Taxation (IPT)
- Member, American Institute of CPAs (AICPA)
- Member, Colorado Society of CPAs
- Member, Colorado Government Finance Officers Association—Colorado Tax Auditor Coalition
Get the right set of eyes on your challenging tax issues.
We like what we do, which makes us fun to work with. Don’t take our word for it.