Explore tax compliance traps, enforcement, audit and settlement best practices in this 110-minute CPE.
Thursday, August 13, 2020 @ 1:00 pm – 2:50 pm EDT
States generally have a system for selecting taxpayers for audit and will use a variety of methods in doing so. Auditors may choose taxpayers because of sales volume, nexus, and the complexity of tax returns or based on the occurrence of specific events, such as bankruptcy, location closures, and implementing an online sales platform.
States yield broad powers in pursuing back taxes, penalties, and fees for noncompliance. Tax professionals and advisers must place greater emphasis on effective methods for avoiding and managing state tax audits, and more importantly, techniques for negotiating state and local tax settlement agreements.
Listen as our panel discusses effective methods in managing complex state tax audits, approaches to obtaining the best state and local tax settlements, and provides insight on state tax assessment issues under current federal tax law. The panel will cover:
- Latest state tax enforcement actions and key issues
- Key state tax compliance issues
- Managing audits
- Negotiating settlements and key items of concern
- Tax controversy abatement
The panel will discuss these and other key issues:
- What are standards of review and ways states find noncompliant businesses?
- How can you manage risk from sales tax registrations and failures to file?
- What should be on your nexus checklist to avoid tax audits?
- What are effective tactics for negotiating state and local tax settlements?
- What are the critical state tax controversy abatement issues and methods to overcome them?
This webinar will provide tax professionals with useful strategies and best practices for managing audits and negotiating state and local tax settlements. The panel will guide advisers on critical sales tax and other state tax compliance issues and current methodologies for conducting internal audits, handling state audits, settlement procedures, and required documentation. The panel will also provide tips and tricks on how to respond to notices and nexus questionnaires, reframe the audit, and pre-audit strategies for an audit-ready business, will be covered. The panel will also provide an in-depth analysis of essential areas of concern in an audit and offer tactics for taxpayers to obtain the best tax settlements.
More Tax News
- 130 Countries Back a Global Minimum Tax
- Untangling the State Tax Complexities of Cannabis
- Take Control of Your Work-Life Balance at TaxOps
- Will Congress Support U.S. Innovation by Reversing R&D Amortization in 2022?
- Guide to Colorado’s Sales and Use Tax System (SUTS)