Hear about trends, traps and what comes next in state and local tax (SALT) from SALT experts Judy Vorndran, William M. Backstrom, Jr., and Daniel L. Stanley at the ABA/IPT Advanced Tax Seminar.
8:45 – 9:45 am, Monday, March 16, 2020
Post-Wayfair, all but two states that impose sales and use tax moved quickly to require sellers to collect sales tax on online purchases, and the last two states are closing the distance. Now, Wayfair is leaking into additional areas as states greedily reach for more. Income taxes are the next frontier, ensuring that state and local tax will continue to be in flux throughout 2020. Getting prepared starts with understanding what’s new. Join this panel of experts as they discuss trends, traps and what comes next with the creeping concept of nexus.
After attending the session, the participant will be able to:
- Describe factor presence — it was here pre-Wayfair
- Identify new business activities that trigger nexus
- Recognize looming compliance threats, if registering for sales tax — and know when to worry about income taxes?
- Explain how PL 86-272 has been affected
Judith Vorndran, CPA, Esq.
- State and Local Tax Partner
- TaxOps, Englewood, CO
William M. Backstrom, Jr., Esq.
- Jones Walker LLP, New Orleans, LA
Daniel L. Stanley, Esq.
- Honigman LLP, Lansing, MI
More Tax News
- Tram Le to Present Sales Tax Updates April 29
- Illinois’ Leveling the Playing Field Act: Quirky, and Weird
- TaxOps Speaking on U.S. State and Local Tax For Foreign Companies
- ASC 740: A Closer Look at Accounting for Income Taxes
- A Conversation About Illinois’ New Leveling the Playing Field Act