The Tax Foundation map of state and local taxes (SALT) shows SALT collections per capita in each of the 50 states and the District of Columbia. Janelle Cammenga writes that collections of $10,717 per capita in D.C. surpass those in any state. The five states with the highest tax collections per capita are New York ($9,073), Connecticut ($7,638), New Jersey ($6,978), North Dakota ($6,665), and Hawaii ($6,640). The five states with the lowest tax collections per capita are Alabama ($3,370), Tennessee ($3,405), Arizona ($3,472), South Carolina ($3,522), and Oklahoma ($3,544).
Read more: The Tax Foundation
See how these findings compare to the 24/7 Wall St. report.
Let’s Talk Tax
Judy Vorndran can be reached at email@example.com or 720.227.0093.
Latest Tax News
- Tram Le to Present Sales Tax Updates April 29
- Illinois’ Leveling the Playing Field Act: Quirky, and Weird
- TaxOps Speaking on U.S. State and Local Tax For Foreign Companies
- ASC 740: A Closer Look at Accounting for Income Taxes
- A Conversation About Illinois’ New Leveling the Playing Field Act