Join Meredith Smith and Judy Vorndran as they address the elements of an end-to-end state and local tax compliance program — wholistic and strategic — in CPE for Lorman.
Don’t Get Caught Off Guard: A Holistic Approach to Sales, Income and Other Business Taxes
A live CPE webinar
November 30 | 1:00pm – 2:40pm EDT | 11:00am-12:40am MDT
Understand the elements of an end-to-end state and local tax compliance program.
With over 13,000 taxing jurisdictions in the United States to track, as well as the interplay between federal and SALT tax considerations, compliance in SALT requires ongoing oversight and administration. Finding the resources internally to manage SALT obligations can be a challenge for businesses, which is why so many companies get caught off-guard by tax authority notices and audits that can often lead to hefty out-of-pocket payments for non-compliance.
A strategic approach to state and local tax (SALT) can help tax advisors and their business clients navigate complex compliance issues, reduce tax liability and plan for a compliant future. In this session, Judy Vorndran and Meredith Smith explore key tax elements and nexus considerations that go into designing a comprehensive state and local tax program for businesses.
- You will be able to define various tax types and application.
- You will be able to explain the broadening concept of nexus.
- You will be able to understand the elements of an end-to-end state and local tax compliance program.
- You will be able to recognize how states find taxpayers.
- 15+ years combining technical knowledge with an in-depth understanding of state and local tax (SALT) issues and business strategy
- Expertly navigates the web of tax laws governing SALT matters
- Performs nexus studies, identified risk areas and designs sustainable planning opportunities to achieve tax-specific business goals
- Practice covers state income tax, property tax, sales and use tax and business incentives and credits
- Former KPMG
Partner, State and Local Tax, TaxOps
- 28 years exclusively building state and local tax knowledge
- Public policy advocate, who has successfully changed laws across jurisdictions; completing an appointment on Colorado’s Legislative Sales and Use Task Force
- Built first national tax practice at a Top 100 CPA firm
- Enjoys getting to know her client’s business and sharing knowledge
- 14 years Deloitte and PwC, 6 regional, 7 TaxOps!
More Tax News
- The Power of Data: Vertex’s Approach to Keeping Pace with Tax Changes with Mike Bernard
- Navigating Return to Provision Adjustment in ASC 740
- Colorado annual notice of earned income tax
- Top Ten State and Local Tax Issues to Watch in 2024
- Judy Vorndran Moderates International Businesses and the State Tax Twist CPE